Sunday 25 May 2014

Y Viva España

Yes this year we were off to sunny Spain

When friends, with a delightful apartment in Elviria near Marbella in Spain, ask casually if you would like to holiday with them there you, naturally, try to look just as casual when replying: that would be nice, how kind. In reality you are bouncing up and down and screaming yes, yes, yes in your head. 

Geraniums, music, bougainvillaea and streetside cafés

Our friends turned out to be the most incredible hosts taking care of absolutely all our needs as guests. They have had their apartment for ten years whilst their children were growing up and now they are able to enjoy all they love about the region in the company of friends.

Views on the street

The bays and harbours of this region are just stunning with a back drop of the Sierra Blanca mountains and there are some beautiful villas and boats owned by the rich and illustrious. With beautiful restaurants and shops as well as sandy beaches and pretty towns and villages there was plenty to do and see in our week away. Did I mention the shops - oh yes, absolutely no end of shopping temptations. In the papers today it says that the harbours and bays around the Marbella area are being developed as there is a demand from wealthy boating people to visit the area. 

Messing about in boats

Of course, I have to mention the wonderful food of the region, especially outstanding fresh fish and hams. We ate out most days and I could soon feel the pounds starting to creep onto my waistline. 

It had to be done: (clockwise from top left)
Swordfish, tapas, churros and sangria

  • I go out for a run
  • Thoughts on running abroad
  • Notes to self

I go out for a run

All that food meant that I was keen to get out and stretch my legs. The reality was somewhat different as late nights meant late mornings by which time the day had heated up and everyone was keen to get out and about. Then there was the problem of being in a locked and gated estate. This meant that I would have to take several keys or someone would have to be in to hear the door bell and let me in.

However, I did find time to go out and I found it much harder than expected hence the very small distance I managed to run. It was all hills and very warm and humid even though it was early evening.



Thoughts on running abroad

The first thing I have to say is that running on your own in an unfamiliar area can be a bit daunting. My Garmin was not in perfect order and I did not know how to set the 'return me to home' function. So when I started to go off route I did not like the feeling at all. Everywhere looked similar so I kept turning in the same direction and thankfully there was a tower on the skyline I could aim for. 

At one stage a car pulled up and drove slowly alongside me which was totally disturbing. I just carried on and did not even glance towards them. For goodness sake I am old enough to be a Grannie and certainly not worth the view! Nevertheless, Spain is not my own country and I needed to be careful. I was not carrying anything that could be snatched. Not even my phone. My friend had seen someone have a handbag snatched on a busier road nearby so I had not wanted to take anything with me.

I saw no other runners or anyone else out walking and this felt uncomfortable after a while so getting back towards the apartment was a relief.

Notes to self

  • run with someone else if possible
  • don't forget to switch Garmin from cycling to running
  • get a route worked out if possible - drive it first maybe
  • be careful if you take a phone or let someone know your route and give them an idea of your expected time back
  • carry a whistle

Well despite all the negatives I did enjoy my run and the break away was brilliant and I came home refreshed and ready to get back to my usual running routine.


No comments:

Post a Comment