Sunday 1 June 2014

Nine Happy Days

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

The last nine days have been full of lovely treats. It began on Friday with a trip to the Mercury Theatre to see Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Alan Sillitoe and adapted by Amanda Whittington. It tells the story of 'angry young man' Arthur Seaton who likes drink and married women. There was sex, nudity and lots of smoking but not very likeable characters. It was an iconic film in the '50s starring Albert Finney and I thought the staging of this adaptation was really well done.

Angry Young Man - Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Tea at Fortnum & Mason

On Saturday afternoon my lovely daughter treated me to tea in the Diamond Jubilee Tea Rooms. It was my combined Mother's Day and birthday present and very much appreciated. We had a lovely glass of vintage champagne too which was delicious. Then there was a visit to Hatchards to indulge my love of book browsing - a perfect day!

I think my smile says it all - being with my lovely daughter too
is always a treat 

Singing with Vocalise at The Mersea Island Food, Drink and Leisure Festival

It was a beautiful day on Sunday and in the afternoon I walked down to the Vineyard where the Food, Drink and Leisure Festival was being held. I was going to be singing with the choir, Vocalise on the upper and lower stage.

We sang a medley of songs including Hallelujah, Let It Be and Aquarius. Everyone seemed to be relaxed and having fun. Whilst I was there I took the time to listen to a lovely young singer called Chessie who is just fifteen and has the most amazing voice. I wandered home having stopped by the craft stalls to buy a painting by local artist Leafy Dumas and a nautical textile hanging from Julie who is also in the choir.  
Part of Vocalise Choir getting ready for their performance

Lavenham Art Festival and NGS Open Garden

The next day was Bank Holiday Monday and I went with a friend to the historic wool town of Lavenham which has one of the largest number of timber framed houses in England.




We visited Little Hall which is one of the oldest of the timber framed houses and we also went in to Shilling Street where one of the houses had an open garden which was exquisite and a real treat to see such beautiful planting in the cottage garden style. We finished the art trail in a sculpture garden which was amazing and the whole outing was delightful.

And now for some running

  • Monday evening Hashing
  • Wednesday morning run
  • Saturday run with Becci

Monday evening Hashing

On Bank Holiday Monday evening Becci, Linda and I joined the Mersea Island Hash House Harriers for a trail round Copford which is a beautiful Essex village.

It was quite fast and a very humid evening. I found myself struggling a couple of times and then for one short run having some energy to keep up with the leader. It was great fun.
Becci looking very smart waiting for the off


You have to keep your wits about you with the uneven surfaces running through the fields.

On a day of intermittent rain we were lucky
that it stayed dry for the run

Then at last there was the pub for much needed refreshment at the end of another enjoyable hash.

The Alma, Copford 

Wednesday morning run

One of my favourite routes round the East end of the island


I decided to go for a run instead of my usual Wednesday morning Supple Strength class as it was such nice weather. There has been quite a lot of rain which made the ground soft underfoot but not too muddy. I found running on the beach easier because the rain had made the sand the right firmness but it is the camber that makes you weary - I tried zig-zagging and it improved my speed but I couldn't maintain it. I ran up and down Meeting Lane when I got home to warm down and to round up the mileage!

A nice slow and steady run

Saturday run with Becci

Becci and I are running the Round The Island Race in June and we felt we needed a longer run including the sea wall and beach for training. 

What we hadn't bargained for was meeting a field of heifers who decided to run towards us to see what we were about. I am frightened of cows when I am walking in fields and we had decided to walk across instead of running. I shouted at them to keep away until my throat was sore. They finally stopped and we were able to keep walking to the gate out of the field. I was petrified but Becci was so cool. I have to admit to swearing at this point more in relief than anything else. I really did not enjoy that but thankfully the rest of the run was uneventful and we got back safe and sound. The weather had been perfect and we wished it could be the same for the actual race.

We have planned a longer run next weekend on a different part of the seawall where I hope we won't meet with any cattle.

Another nice (except for the cows)
 circular run at the East End of the Island

A week of treats indeed - running and outings and lovely Spring weather.



No comments:

Post a Comment