Saturday 21 June 2014

Bread and Sugar Detox Review

RUnladylike Seven Day Detox


Cleanse:  bread and sugar excesses

How many days: seven 

What was I hoping to achieve?

I was hoping that I would undo all the damage overloading on bread and sweet things had done lately and get back to my usual no bread with yeast or too many sugary foods eating habits.

What did the detox involve?


Jesica had provided her readers with a few guidelines and I followed these as best I could. You can find them on the blog here, a few pages back.

It would involve eating no bread and cutting down on sugary items such as fruit and dried fruits. Soft drinks and sugary alcohol was out too.

How did the detox feel at the beginning:

I had a flatbread the first day as I had one needing to be used up but after that it was easy to do without as I usually don't eat most breads. 

I did feel the sugar low mid-morning and afternoon difficult to deal with as I would usually be heading for the nuts and dried fruit but decided to eat treats such as celery and peanut butter especially on exercise days.

How did the detox feel at day four:

It was a very strange experience out shopping today. Just about everything I would usually put in my basket seemed to have some sort of bread or sugar element. That made me sit up and think.

I felt much better at this stage and the sugar highs and lows were less disruptive and my energy was improving.

I found that making an almond milkshake with my two fruits for the day was very tasty and satisfying. It even set when I left some in the fridge and became a pudding for that evening.

How did the detox feel on the last day:

It had been a difficult week to stick to the detox as I had a lot of social occasions when I would usually have bread and perhaps a glass of wine. I was determined to keep to the detox and tried to think outside the box when eating out.

One of the nicest treats I had was a vanilla flavoured tea which was a gift to me from a friend in America and I found it easily satisfied my craving for a sweet treat in the afternoons.

Would I recommend this detox

This is a great detox for a few days to give your system a rest from particular foods. On the whole I think it is better if you don't get into the habit of over-indulging on foods generally so that you need to detox. This is not easy, of course, especially around holidays such as Christmas so a quick detox would be useful then.

Did I achieve what I hoped for?

Oh yes, and it was especially good to be able to join in with Jesica and keep in contact with her via Twitter so that I had some accountability and also it was fun to know that I wasn't going it alone.

Jesica has an excellent Sugar Detox Results report here and a huge well done to her for such good results.

Afterthoughts

I had an almighty crash a couple of days after the detox for reasons I don't seem to be able to explain to myself and I really went mad eating biscuits (cookies) and white bread rolls (which I never eat!). It pulled me up really sharp and the following day I resolved not to waste the detox by falling back by the wayside and am happy to report that all is now under control and I am feeling the benefits of lowering bread and sugar intakes. 

I managed to loose a couple of pounds that had crept on recently too so that was an added and unexpected bonus.

Thanks Jesica for inviting us to join you in your detox.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you joined me for this! You did great, especially with so many social occasions which is always the hardest part! Thanks for sharing the detox and your experiences. I had some binges the week after too, so don't feel bad. We're all in it together. xoxo

    ReplyDelete