Wednesday 10 September 2014

Pretty Muddy Race For Life

Ipswich Race for Life run

My race buddies Becci and Heidi and me

This was my first Race for Life and also the first Pretty Muddy one held in Ipswich. It will be my last!

There were ten obstacles along the 5k route at Trinity Park. The first was a series of three pink plastic solid 'barrels' which you had to climb over. Unfortunately for me, having torn my thigh muscle last year, I was not able to lift my leg without a sharp pain and someone very kindly kicked my wrist as I tried to pull myself over. I tried the second one but gave up and ran round the Marshall at the third. Off to a poor start!

There were then tyres to skip through and trays of muddy water with nets over them and tubes to go through. These were uncomfortable and we started to get quite dirty and then we came to an A frame with a rope ladder up and down. It was quite scary at the top but we all managed it.

The penultimate obstacle was a low tank of mud with elastic ropes woven above and we were told that we had to get down on all fours to go through. There was an extremely over enthusiastic volunteer with a broom who decided it was ok to sweep the mud straight into my face. It went up my nose and in my mouth and my knee jerk reaction was to stand up remonstrate that it was too much and get out of the tank! Well sometimes common sense must prevail.

The last obstacle was to climb up another rope ladder whilst wet and muddy and then slide down into another muddy water tank. 

Great fun for some but not for me I'm afraid. Completely ruined by the idiot with the broom. I applaud the idea of raising money for charities especially research into cancer but I will be leaving this sort of event to those who enjoy mud and are prepared for greater than usual risk of injury!!

No comments:

Post a Comment