Monday 1 September 2014

Mersea Island Five Mile Race

Running like an outsider making up the field



  • Before the race
  • The race 
  • Post race euphoria
  • Some plans for the rest of the year

Before the race



When I entered the race some months ago I had envisaged running it on my own as Becci was going to be working and everyone else I knew would be much faster.

Then in a sudden flurry of activity, Becci, decided to run the race in-between her nursing appointments (with permission, of course) and then my daughter phoned to say she was going to have a go and would sign up on the day.

Now my daughter is a beginner and also out of practice so I knew she would be needing a very sedate pace. That would be fine as Becci is now running with members of The Commando Runners more often and would not be lost for company if I slowed to be able to encourage Léonie.


Last minute checks (my gal Léonie)
Someone remarked that my number was for the ten mile race because it was blue and not red. What on earth!! That would not be happening as I wanted to spend some time in the garden in the afternoon and running ten miles would only mean sofa time afterwards. I had to re-register and was given a new number which was a bit sad as I quite liked the symmetry of number 200.


Spot the difference!!

The race


Mile One

The start saw Léonie and me hanging around towards the back of the field so that we could get into a comfortable stride. However, it starts with a long climb up Seaview Avenue and Léonie just could not find her breath and we slowed a few times and when she broke into a walk I just jogged on the spot or looped back to her. I was a bit worried because once the road levelled off she still wasn't able to get her breathing regulated and she said that she would go a little further before making up her mind about pulling out.
The start of the race
Mile Two
Making a friend of mine, marshalling, laugh because
I stopped to take a photo whilst in a race!!

Sadly, Léonie decided it wasn't her day for running and I checked that it would be ok to go ahead before running on. 

I knew I wouldn't be able to get a good time now but decided to have some fun and see how many people I could run past. At the water station I had already got past quite a few and realised that I was feeling particularly good and fast.

It occurred to me that I ought to pace myself in case I ran out of steam and I eased back a little.

Mile Three

I was still over taking people at the top of the hill after The Strood section and had been running at sub 9 minute miles at some points. I still felt energised and wasn't straining at all so decided to keep going but with the brakes on just a little.

Mile Four

It was quite hot by now and my arms felt as if they were getting a bit burnt. I tried to run on the side of the road where there was some shade. Coming to the downhill at Yorrick Road was very enjoyable and I knew that I was in sight of home and still running very fast (for me).

Mile Five and home

There is a nasty little slope just as you get into Broomfields and you need to push yourself as you get along the Esplanade before a final sprint up to the finish line. Always keen to keep the photographers happy I went for a final push with a big smile on my face and I wondered just how behind I would be time wise.

Post race euphoria

A bacon butty reward - nice for some!
I found Becci, Mark and Gareth but didn't see any sign of Léonie. Just as I got over the finish line I felt really sick but thought of my trainer telling us that meant we had been working properly. It took me by surprise though and I was glad it didn't happen when the photographer was looking.

Becci said they hadn't been in long before me and she had been given the last of the five mile medals. Mine was engraved on the back with ten miles but I thought it would be a funny reminder of a curious day.

Then Léonie bowled up looking amused with herself. Apparently the Ambulance staff had tried to keep her going. When she couldn't run any longer they gave her a lift in the back of the Ambulance and so she had completed the race but not in the usual way!!

I think you may have my daughter in there!
Post race I realised I had run past at least twenty runners and got a time of 50.52 minutes which is just a couple of minutes short of my PB - I wonder what it would have been if I had been on that form from the start. I will never know if it was the leisurely pace at the beginning of the race that gave me such amazing energy to surge ahead and try to catch up with Becci and the others.








Whatever it was driving me on that day it was a thrilling feeling to be running at that pace for further than usual and I will treasure that as such a happy memory. 














It wasn't such a good day for Léonie nor indeed, Gareth, who both stopped before the end of the race because it wasn't working for them but that is the nature of sport - some days are good and some not so.

Some plans for the rest of the year

  • go out for more just for fun runs
  • try to do some speed work to maintain pace ability
  • decide on Saturday Hashing or Park Runs
  • do at least one long run a month








No comments:

Post a Comment