Saturday 19 April 2014

Broken and scratched but still working

Bruised and bleeding 


I felt just as damaged physically too!

Thursday evening training with 100% Fitness was tough but going well and we were almost home when disaster struck: I fell over. 

If anyone else had fallen I would immediately advise: 

  • remain laying on ground and see if anything really hurts
  • if all seems fine then get up
  • go to A & E to get checked (older women especially can easily have broken bones without realising it) vital if heads have been knocked

What did I do? Well I got up as quickly as I fell down and then carried on running which fortunately wasn't too far to the finish of the session.  I did a quick assessment and found that I was bleeding from gashes and scratches on both hands and my right leg. I could feel that my right arm was throbbing but I didn't want to take my jacket off. 

Fortunately it pays to have a nurse as your best running buddy and Becci very kindly cleaned and covered the worst of my injuries. I was probably full of adrenaline from the six mile run and drove home without problems.

At home I was able to get a better look at my injuries and my arm had two large lumps one at the elbow and the other half way along the ulna. Thankfully none of the injuries felt serious enough to need professional attention but I knew I would probably be quite sore the next day. Look away now if you are squeamish.

Oh dear damage done

  • Warm up
  • Hill session
  • Warm down
  • Stretching
  • Garmin and coat damage



Warm up

The group was split up into three:

  1. The tag team preparing for the Para Ten endurance race
  2. The faster runners
  3. The beginners and those wanting a slower pace
Gemma suggested I went with the faster group (2) which was being led by her husband Graham.

I found it quite a push as I have not been running under 10 minute mile pace for a long while. I soon had to take off my jacket and popped myself at the back of the group moving forward again once I had finally found my rhythm.

These laps show I was working harder than usual

Hill Session

We then had to start hill work. We were to run at 90% effort up hill and round a turning circle and start back down hill at that effort level. Then once we had started downhill we could take a recovery pace back to the start. We where repeat for a total of five minutes. 

After that we ran back around Abbey Fields. This is a green area paved and lit the whole way round which makes it extremely popular for runners.

When we got back we had another hill session with as many repeats as we could manage in five minutes.

Warm down

For our warm down we set off in our groups. Becci and I were running along very nicely still at a faster pace than I would usually take for a warm down but it was comfortable. We were just turning off the path to cross the road and get on the footpath to the finish when I fell. I remember seeing a sandy surface with stones protruding and it is possible I tripped on one of these but it all happened so quickly. I was up very quickly and Graham ran alongside me to the finish and was keeping my mind occupied by explaining how to ice effectively.

Stretching

I tried a little stretching but couldn't really concentrate. We waited for the whole group to get back together and Gemma, our trainer, said she would put the fall in her accident book. I checked my broken watch and it was showing that we had run for just over six miles.


Garmin and coat damage

 When we had finished the hill sessions and were going to take a recovery run back I decided to put on my jacket. This covered my Garmin but in the fall I threw out my hands to help break the fall and unfortunately my watch was ripped off my wrist. The strap was torn beyond repair and the face was scratched and chipped and my jacket was torn. The watch still works thankfully but it doesn't look very pretty. A new watch strap has been ordered but I'm not sure what I can do about the damage to the face.


My poor damaged Garmin 610

Now a couple of days later my shoulder joint is quite sore and I am probably going to have some nice bruises but a few days rest will hopefully help. So plenty of time reading and sipping tea follow.

Time for tea
and a good detective story


No comments:

Post a Comment