Wednesday 2 April 2014

First Spring Run Through the fields of Mersea 2014


Off Road

It was great to finally get off road again after a winter of extremely wet weather. There were one or two areas which were completely boggy still and  I was glad to have my new trail shoes to keep my feet dry.

I have a little reminder to 'relax' hanging on the back gate for when you leave or enter the garden
  • Conditions
  • Run report
  • Weather



Conditions

Most of the footpaths and roads are now dry and the grass and vegetation has not yet grown enough to be a problem. This means that you have a good view of the ground and you can keep an eye out for any adders basking in the Spring sunshine. There are some on parts of the seawall which I did not run on today but also along a field edge where a couple of summers ago a dog was bitten. Mostly though they can hear you coming and they really don't want to bite but after a winter's hibernation their venom sacks are quite potent not having been used so it is wiser to take care.

Dougal Urquhart at Mersea Wildlife has lots of  information on his blog about adders

Run report


It is all beginning to look greener
The Round the Island route will come inland again where I ran today


Messing about trying to take photos and video slowed me down a lot, especially as I kept turning the camera off by mistake and had to refilm. I thought it would be fun to try to record a little bit for The Commando Runners Facebook page as some of them are running the Round the Island later in June. 





It was lovely to run with a softer surface and this made me feel much more energized. I hardly met a soul whilst I was running but one old fellow on a footpath in the field behind my house seemed not to have noticed me so I called hello so as not to alarm him but he still seemed to jump a bit with surprise (I have that effect I find - somehow I don't think it is in a good way!). 

The same thing happened with a lady taking her dog for a walk but I managed to make a bit of noise on the gravel which alerted her to a runner. Sometimes dogs love it as they think it is time for some fun but their owners might not have had a run in mind. 





Running was enjoyable and I tried to work a bit on stride and lifting my feet up a bit on the road home. Still not able to get much speed going so this needs working on.

Weather



It was perfect today. There was a slight mistiness along the horizon but it was warm and bright and only a little breeze. No need for more than a short sleeved top and tights today - I could even have tried my capris but I am sometimes a bit wary in case I catch my lower legs on briars or nettles. 

Well my first practice for the Round The Island safely in the bag and I am going to look forward to lots more off road runs now that the ground is drying out nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment