Wednesday 19 March 2014

Beating the post race blues


More recovery strategies




Treat time!

At last year's Colchester Half Marathon I spent some left over Christmas money on a piece of jewellery to commemorate the run. I enjoyed the treat so much that I decided to save for something special for after the race this year. In fact, I was able to save enough for two treats. Today the first one arrived - loosely coming under the heading of post race recovery. I had a pair of Tory Burch flip flops gift wrapped and sent to me with a note to self which said 'Congratulations - now time to relax in these beauties!'. 

I have also been working on my post race recovery plan and having succumbed to the cough and cold that members of my family have had for the past month I am happy to have a few days total rest. It fits nicely into the plan:

  • look at nutrition
  • note how race affected me physically
  • review race entries
  • work out plan for keeping half marathon ready

Look at nutrition

It is very easy to bask in the post race need to eat more calories and start to pile on a few extra pounds. This year I have asked a fellow Commando Runner, Angela Isherwood to look at my nutrition through her business healthy living . I think it is important to support small local business where possible and it is extra pleasing to do this when you share an interest like running. I can't wait to get my results and start working on improving my diet.

Note how race affected me physically

One way of deciding how much rest and recovery you need after a race is to test your resting heart rate. I have a naturally low resting heart rate of around 48 beats per minute. This morning, three days after the race, it is 60 beats per minute which indicates that my body is still in recovery - and I do have a cold so that makes it clear that I must need more time to get back to normal.

During the race I felt relaxed and happy and when fatigue did start to set in around mile 8 I was prepared for it and mentally adjusted using the plan I had made and it worked. 

The only worrying episode was at mile 11 when my right foot had a very strange numb sensation and for a moment I wasn't sure if I would be able to carry on but I was distracted and ran on without it becoming a problem. There seems to be something straining in the big toe joint on a long run and I am going to have to decide if I need to get it assessed.  WARNING: nasty shot of foot!!


Review race entries

Another side effect of all the build up and training and planning for a big race is the downer that can hit runners in the days after the run. So to combat this I am having a look at what races are coming up and which ones I would like to enter. It is soon going to be time to start running off road which I love and there are a few races I could enter that would give me something to aim at during the summer.

The next big run I have is the Round the Island Race in June which is just over 12 mixed terrain miles and is something I have been promising myself I would have a go at. 

Apart from that there are another 9 races I am thinking about which range from 5 to 10k and there are always Park Runs on Saturday mornings.

Work out plan for keeping half marathon ready

With the Round the Island coming up in just three months I don't want to have to start half marathon training from scratch. I hope that I can maintain a ready to race fitness by:

  • run between 15 - 23 miles per week
  • run 1 - 45 - 60 minutes or 4 - 6 miles at easy to moderate pace
  • cross train - spinning or stretching
  • run 2 45 - 60 minutes 5 - 7 miles cross country moderate pace
  • cross train - strengthening workout
  • run 3 weekend long runs 6 - 8 miles and 10 miles every third week
  • shorter races where speed work can be incorporated (this would include Park Runs)

That looks like enough to keep me busy! Hope your running planning is going well and don't forget to give yourself a treat when you can.



No comments:

Post a Comment