Monday 17 March 2014

Colchester Half Marathon Race Report Sunday 16 March 2014!!





The enormous medal depicting Colchester Castle Park and runner


When everything seems to be going to plan I always have an uneasy feeling that life will do something to catch you out. And the evening before race day I started an annoying cough with a slight sore throat and headache. I fully expected to wake up full of cold. I decided to go to bed early and just read before sleep rather than mess about with planners, instagram and other iPad distractions - a good recipe for sleeplessness. 

When I woke up at 5.30 am I didn't feel perfect but I knew I would be ok for running. The dawn chorus had wakened me on a beautiful bright sunny day. I dozed for another hour then showered and got ready for breakfast.

My aims for the day were


  • Eat a good breakfast
  • Get to race in good time
  • Stick to race plan
  • Collect post race bits
  • Recovery plan 

Eat a good breakfast

I had several choices but opted for water and cod-liver oil tablet and two scrambled eggs on a slice of wholemeal toast. I couldn't face suggested greens at breakfast and just about managed the eggs and toast. I drank a cup of coffee and was ready for off.

Get to race in good time

We got to the stadium at 8.15 am just time to get to the toilets without too much of a queue and I met Deborah who is a lovely calm and relaxed runner who chatted whilst we made progress along the line.

Then I met my good running buddy Rebecca and her friend and I said hello to some of The Commando Runners (a Facebook Group who support each other through running). I said goodbye to my husband who is a super support at my races. We were then getting into our starting positions.

Rebecca wanted to beat her time last year and Frances another Commando Runner was going to help her. I was tempted to try to keep up with them but had to keep reminding myself to stick to my own plan as the start of the CHM (Colchester Half Marathon) is renowned for being super speedy.
Rebecca and I ready for the off

Stick to race plan

The negative split idea did not happen as planned!
The start I couldn't hear the speakers and we lined up towards the back - this suited me as it would help me make a slower start. I initially tried to follow Becci and Frances but soon realised that was going to be too fast for me and I settled down to a comfortable pace.





Mile one This came up much quicker than I expected and I peeled off my gloves as I definitely wouldn't need them in the unseasonal heat and ate a pretzel and started sipping my sports drink. 

Mile two The number of people out to support the runners was really encouraging and it was fun to wave at them. I saw North Hill looming ahead and said, not meaning to, out loud 'there's that big b***r' to which the lady next to me said 'yep, it's all yours - take it!'. I listened to her male companion giving her advice and found it useful myself. I looked ahead six feet (someone at a Park Run had told me to do this) used my arms and before I had time to wonder if it would work I was at the top. Wonderful.

Mile three The run along the highstreet to Castle Park was a good time to recover, hydrate at the water station and eat another pretzel (getting harder to swallow even when chewed well). The sun was very warm by now.

Mile four The rhythm of my running was becoming as even as I like it and I settled into the climb up the Ipswich road. I noticed Frances ahead of me walking and was a bit worried for her but decided to pass her quietly in case I upset her and I was aware of her starting to run again. I waved to a couple holding a Commando support poster of a camouflage patterned running shoe.

Mile five I knew there would be a water station just ahead and my plan was to have my caffeine gel here and wash it down with the water. There was a small pile of gel wrappers so I was happy to throw mine in amongst them. Was beginning to feel a little fatigued which I knew I could ignore as it would be my usual part way through flagging before I pick up again.

Mile six This was where I expected to see my husband to get some encouragement but I could not see him. I felt quite distressed and didn't realise how much it would upset me but miraculously another Commando support group appeared in front of me and I went over to say hello and their reaction brought me right back up. This was just as well as I then had to climb an incline onto the bridge over the motorway.

Mile seven Getting quite tired now and a little discouraged by hearing the loudspeaker in the distance announcing the very fast front runners arriving back in the stadium. Got my mind back to what was around me. Beautiful countryside, blossoming trees and 'the open road' as Toad from Wind in The Willows would say. A job had to be done.

Mile eight saw us tackling a downhill run with potholes before another uphill struggle. Once again the couple at North Hill were around and I used their energy and expertise to get me up - and it worked. I ran in the shade where I could as it was now very hot.

Mile nine was where the real work of keeping my mind on the job in hand and maintaining a steady pace began. I saw my hairdresser Louise whose very jolly demeanour as I passed her spurred me on.

Mile ten the wall for lots of people but I was determined not to let those who had started walking to influence me and I kept two sets of runners in my sights who were pacing themselves and running consistently.

Mile eleven suddenly a mad woman was yelling at me to 'get a move on Teresa!' - it was one of my Monday night running pals, Helen,  who was marshalling. 'I'm going as fast as I can!' I laughingly called back.

Mile twelve I could see an orange shirt in front of me and I knew it was Rebecca. I caught up with her and we ran along together. I pointed out the couple I was keeping an eye on and she moved me closer to them before deciding to drop back to the pace she had been happy with. I asked her if it would be ok to run on and she said that would be fine.

Mile thirteen my targets suddenly were going too fast for me and I decided to keep a little in the tank to sprint home. I said to an elderly man who had started to walk 'don't make me run past you' but I had to. Within a couple of seconds he came back and overtook me!

The finish we rounded the corner onto the bridge back into the stadium and I managed to quicken my pace - a lady next to me said 'well where is the finish' and I couldn't make it out either. The crowd was very noisy and then I managed to put my arms in the air for the photographer and there was the finishing mat.  I turned back to find Rebecca who was not far behind.


The spoils of war!

Collect post race bits well I think I mean medal which I put on straight away. It was enormous compared to last year and the text was in my favourite colour purple. Then we were in a bottle neck and I wasn't able to walk and my legs started to cramp up. I was given a bottle of water which helped as did walking on the spot. We collected a goody bag, containing a chocolate bar, packet of crisps and some literature, a banana and a tee shirt (I chose a medium). Then David, my husband, found me and told me that he and our daughter had been shouting for me at the finish but I hadn't seen or been able to hear them. Time to say goodbye and head for home.

Recovery Plan first was a drink of chocolate milk and as we were caught by a high tide preventing us getting back home onto the Island I ate the chocolate bar. When I got home I showered and stretched as it was now over an hour since the run. Then it was off to the pub for a roast beef dinner followed by a sticky date pudding with custard, all washed down with two glasses of Prosecco.

I was glad to get home to rest and have a fun time looking at comments on Facebook and seeing the results posted:

A personal best which is amazing to me given how slowly I've been running lately and a real sense of achievement at sticking to my plan and getting a good return in terms of my goals for the race:


  • To run the whole 13.1 miles without breaking into a walk
  • To stick to my plan
  • To follow all the advice I have been lucky enough to have been given
  • To enjoy the day

All this hard work was only possible with the support of trainers and running companions and I am really thankful for them.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent run again Teresa! Congratulations on meeting your targets! Really enjoying reading your blog too :-) Was lovely to meet you at the start x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Angela - took your advice on board and it worked!

    ReplyDelete