Tuesday 18 March 2014

Post Long Run Recovery Plan

Well now the run is over it is time to plan for the week ahead. 


  • Contact and congratulate runners I know from the half marathon
  • Work on post long run recovery plan
  • Monday run girls evening at Helen's
  • Tuesday no cross training
  • Wednesday possibly stretching class and evening out
  • Thursday find out if 100% Fitness running group are meeting
  • Friday go for a long walk 
  • Saturday to Park Run or not

Contact and congratulate runners from CHM

I have been really pleased to read other blog reports and to have Facebook and email contact with people I know who successfully completed the Colcester Half Marathon. The running community are a very supportive group and I am so pleased that we all had such a good day.

Work on post long run recovery plan

I contacted Jesica from http://www.runladylike.com who has an excellent article about race recovery tips. Here are some of the main tips I will be using post long run:

Duration of recovery as this was a half marathon the recovery would be 13 days. However, during the race something strange happened to the sensation in my right foot. At mile 11 I felt the foot go numb after a very slight electrical shock sensation. I was able to run through it and now the day after it is a bit painful to walk on so I will have to review how long I need to recover before I can start lower mileage and easy training days Jesica suggests during this recovery period.

Activity & training during recovery again using Jesica's plan I would have a lot of rest which for me will be 4 days as I usually have a spinning class on a Tuesday and stretching on a Wednesday and as I am now feeling unwell from a cold I am happy to miss out on this cross training. Then if my foot is better I will have a short run towards the end of the week. After that the second week will work like a taper plan with easy and hard days alternating still incorporating days of rest and no speed work or intervals. Then after that all training can be resumed. As my cross training is under my control I feel it will be fine to carry on with it as usual but I will be very careful.

Monday run girls night in at Helen's

St Patrick's Day and we had our planned evening at a running friend's home and had a lovely Thai meal and a glass of wine and planned some future running events we can all do together. We are at different levels of running but we wanted to find some races we will all be able to have a go at to encourage each other.


Tuesday no cross training

Well everyone's coughs and colds have finally taken their toll on me and I have a lovely deep voice and the usual run down feeling of a cold coming on. Just as well that my recovery plan was no cross training this week!

So that is my week's goals post - I will update progress as the week gets underway. Hope you all have a great running week.




No comments:

Post a Comment